Thursday, January 1, 2009

Davis Dickson Goolsby


Let the Clock Begin:
Davis' due date was November 1st so when my water broke on October 14th to say I wasn't ready is an understatement!  I was planning on using the remaining two and a half weeks to pack my bag, write out my birth plan and get emotionally geared up.  But, babies come when they're ready right?

Here's how it all went down.

Friday, Oct. 10th
Last appointment with my doctor.  She assured me that the baby had not dropped at all and it was going to be closer to the due date before Davis made his appearance.  In fact, she said that since he hadn't dropped it would be unlikely that I would go in to labor on my own.  In hind site I should have realized that my high blood pressure at this appointment (for the first time in my pregnancy) was probably an indicator of what was coming.  

Tuesday, Oct. 14th - Wednesday, Oct. 15th
Another day at work.  I left the office at 4:00 pm to go to an eye doctor appointment.  I wanted to get the lenses in my glasses updated so that I could wear them in the hospital and really be able to see.  5:00 pm I left the eye doctor and headed to Forney where I was dropping off food for the Gregson's who had just had Cayden three weeks earlier.  I picked up Chilli's to-go (what? you expected me to cook?) and stopped by for a brief visit.  I then drove back to Dallas and picked up Chick-fil-a for dinner.  This is a good time to mention that Jeff is working.  He's at a local high school judging UIL All-Region Choir Auditions. His cell phone is off.  I pick up my dinner and head home.  I have been at home for approximately fifteen minutes and while innocently sitting on the couch I feel a thump and to my shock and horror my water has broken.  It's 7:30 pm.  What happens after that really can't be justly recorded but let's just say I walked around the house in aimless circles trying to pack a bag, track down Jeff and find someone to take me the hospital.  My bag didn't get successfully packed but I did pluck my eye brows!

Over the next hour I call several friends, leave Jeff a very calm and casual message, talk to the doctor on call, talk to my Brother-in-law (who leaves to go find Jeff) and ask my friend Jackie to come get me and take me to the hospital.  

Jackie picks me up from the house, Kenneth finds Jeff and we all find each other at the hospital.

The hours ahead are the longest of my life.  My 'birth plan' involved labor with no epidural and so after getting checked in to a room and getting set up with the nurse we began the long process.  There was a lot of counting through the contractions and changing positions for comfort.  At 12:30 pm on Wednesday (yes, 17 hours after my water broke) I was between 4 and 5 cm dialated and the doctor is talking about potossin.  I was exhausted!  The sleepless night had taken a toll on me and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to conjure up the strength when it came time to push.  I decided that it was more important to get some rest than continue with out drugs.  I got the epidural and they started the potossin.  Can I get a 'Thank you Jesus' from all the moms out there who have had an epidural?  Wow.  I was able to sleep for the first time in over 30 hours.

The end is near.

At 2:30 the nurse wakes me up.  She has been watching Davis' heart rate and has called the doctor in to check out the situation.  At 2:40 the doctor says she wants to go ahead and get Davis out via C-section.  I don't need convincing.  I was ready for it to be over and for Davis to join the world.

Davis Dickson Goolsby arrives at 3:08 pm weighing in at 7 lbs. 3 oz.  He is healthy and beautiful.  There are not words for the first moment I held him.

**Blogger note.  I'm learning how to blog and I can't figure out how to put the pictures where I want them so I'll put them in a separate post!



No comments: